Jan 8, 2011

Montessori...

I told my husband tonight we need to sell our house-- we need to. I am filled with all this knowledge without an outlet to release it. He told me I do, I have Eli. But it is not the same. Never in my life have I been so driven and anxious to share parts of my brain with people than with Maria Montessori's philosophy of education. Never have I been so intrigued and tempted to put something into action... but then watch. I was fortunate enough to see Montessori education in action-- to watch a child find concentration, consequence, content in their work, error, and strive to correct themselves-- on their own. There were many days I stood at Raintree observing, contemplating, noticing the 'ah-ha' moments and, in turn, feeling contentment in myself. Children are amazing-- they are our future and it is our duty to prepare them, properly.
To have Eli everyday is to watch every spontaneous birth of his development-- to see him discover in himself his own possibilities. Never has a greater gift been offered to me than to physically be there, consistently, to see it, allow it. To see each step. Alexander has been handling Eli's new transitions-- no longer does he simply need him to stand up to calm his tears, but now he needs vocal interaction. There are new steps every day and Eli is the best teacher. I do not know everything about him-- we are learning. He exposes himself more every moment, every interaction. Maria Montessori said "you yourselves must be filled with wonder and when you have acquired that, you are prepared". Well, we are filled with wonder-- at every babble, squeal, grab, grasp, roll, giggle, stare down in awe-- we are filled with wonder.
I want to learn more, I want to practice, I want to work. I want to work, not in the traditional sense, rather, in Montessori's way. "The child can develop fully through by means of experience with in his environment. We call such experiences 'work' " Maria Montessori.
I pray our house sells so I may pursue this passion more fully... so my experiences can be put into action, my knowledge can be tested and used, so I may learn more, so I may share with children my wonderment.Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment